Luisa has been EBF for 14 weeks now and along the way I’ve learnt a thing or two. I’m by no means an expert but I thought that following on from my post about the start of our journey I would check-in with a bit of an update and share a few tips. Some of these might seem like no-brainers but they are all ‘mistakes’ I made so you don’t have to.
- Always get comfortable before you start feeding, you could be stuck there for a while.
- Don’t use smelly shower gel. Luisa is not a fan of the taste of Soap and Glory! Now I use coconut oil in the shower or Simple shower gel.
- Don’t spend one single second worrying about what people will think or say if you feed in public. Instead use your time practiscing crazy eyes to dish out at anyone who stares.
- Just because a baby is nursing all the time doesn’t mean you don’t have a good enough supply. It’s likely that they are going through/getting ready for a growth spurt and are nusring more to increase your supply to meet their new needs.
- Keep hydrated & have snacks you can eat with one hand around at all times.
- Eating well will make you more up to the task but I also recommend taking a supplement. I like Pregnacare – Breastfeeding Along the same lines give Neuners Organic Nursing Tea a try. I really think it made a difference to my supply.
- If you’re going to pump don’t try it in the evening or it’ll feel like you’ve had your girls in a vice and you won’t even get a lot of milk anyway.
So as you can see I’m learning all the time and it’s still going well. Luisa is pretty content and gaining weight nicely. She is starting to get distracted more easily whilst feeding now that she’s older so if you’ve any tips on how to keep her ‘on task’ let me know! Have any of you tried a ‘nursing necklace’ with success?